Up your grill game and take a cue from Sicily for a Mediterranean-inspired grilled rack of lamb paired with one of the island’s elegant Nero D’Avola single varietals or blends.
Spicy Sicilian Almond Red Pepper Sauce:
- 2 red peppers
- 4 tablespoons Sicilian almonds, ground fine (not to flour) in a coffee grinder
- 2 tablespoons Harissa (found in the ethnic aisle at grocery stores nationwide)
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
Lamb Chops Scottadita:
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 domestic rack of lamb chops, rib bones Frenched and some fat removed
Roast the red peppers in the broiler close to the heat source, turning every few minutes until black and blistered on the outside (alternatively, use an outdoor grill). Remove and let cool. When cool, remove seeds, and peel the blackened skin off the pepper.
Roughly chop the peppers and add to a blender or food processor. Add the olive oil and vinegar and blend until smooth and transfer the mixture to a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and combine. If the mixture is too thin, add more of the ground almonds.
Season lamb chops with salt and pepper and brush with olive oil. Preheat a grill to very hot, and grill the chops “Scottadita”, 4-5 minutes each side until medium rare. Serve immediately with Spicy Sicilian Almond Red Pepper Sauce. Makes 4 servings.