Pair a Grillo or Grillo Chardonnay Blend from one of Sicily’s inland regions, with notes of floral and Mediterranean fruit to balance the flavor burst that comes from a simple, briny, herbal relish that gets a spicy kick from pickled peppers and veggies.
- 2 tablespoons capers, roughly chopped
- 8 black and green olives, chopped (preferably a mix of oil-cured Sicilian black olives and Castelvetarno green olives)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 4 tablespoons whole almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon pickled peppers/vegetables*
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 swordfish steaks (5-6 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To make the relish, mix together the capers, olives, parsley, chives, almonds and pickled peppers in a small bowl. Add 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil to mix into the relish, or until desired consistency.
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Brush the swordfish steaks with 2 tablespoons olive oil, then coat with salt and pepper to taste. Place the steaks directly on the grill grate and grill for about 3 minutes per side (depending on thickness of steaks), until cooked through. Transfer the steaks to a plate and top with the relish mixture. Makes 4 servings.
*Chop and cover a selection of peppers/vegetables (carrots, cauliflower, spicy peppers) with salt water for approximately one day, rinse vegetables and add equal parts vinegar and extra virgin olive oil and refrigerate for 2 days (or use any jarred pickled vegetables in the gourmet or deli section of the grocery store).