This sweet bourbon glazed ham is tastefully topped with subtle spices like fennel and star anise. Balance this Easter classic with a glass of Nero d’Avola from Sicilia DOC.
- One 18-pound, bone-in whole or spiral-cut smoked ham, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 4 star anise pods
- Pinch of crushed red chili flakes
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- One 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 dried red chili
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups bourbon
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
Preheat the oven to 325. Place the ham in a large roasting pan and add 1 cup of water. Cover the pan with foil and bake the ham for about 2 hours.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes until thickened.
Remove the foil and brush the ham with the glaze. Roast for 30 minutes longer, glazing every 10 minutes, until the top is lightly caramelized. Transfer the ham to a platter and let rest for 15 minutes. Serve with pan juices, if desired. Makes 16 to 20 servings.