Take on the flavors of the Mediterranean with lamb and tzatziki, paired with the spicy and flavorful notes of a glass of Nero d’Avola from the Wines of Sicilia DOC.
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons Moroccan seasoning mix
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves, washed and trimmed
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons currants
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large Turkish flatbread (or any other flatbread, like naan)
- 2 ounces feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- Tzatziki sauce
Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and cook, stirring until soft and light golden. Add the ground lamb and cook until all the lamb has browned, stirring to break up any lumps. Add the Moroccan mix and cook until aromatic. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, approximately 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the pine nuts and currants. Season with salt and pepper.
Cut bread in half lengthwise, creating two large, flat pieces of bread to use as a base. Place bread onto a baking sheet, top with lamb mixture and sprinkle with crumbled feta. Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until crisp and hot. Sprinkle parsley over the flatbread and serve with tzatziki. Makes 4 servings.