This savory pumpkin beef stew pairs perfectly with a glass of Nero d’Avola on a cool autumn evening.
- 3 pounds beef (stew meat or chuck roast)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef stock or broth
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3-4 thyme sprigs
- additional salt to taste
Cut the beef into 1-inch chunks. Dredge the beef in the flour until all of the beef sides are covered.
In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium high-heat. In small quantities, brown the beef on all sides, removing the beef and setting it aside in a large bowl as you go. Once all of the beef is browned, add the onion and the garlic to the pot. Sauté the onion and garlic for one minute, scraping the bottom of the pot as you stir.
Return the browned beef to the pot and add the beef stock, pumpkin puree, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Stir well and bring to a boil. Once the liquid is boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Add the potatoes, carrots and thyme sprigs to the pot and increase heat to medium. Cook for an additional 30 minutes. Salt to taste and serve.