Pair bright, spicy Shakshuka with the spicy red fruit, herb and earth flavors of a Sicilia DOC Perricone for a truly international take on brunch.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes with juices, coarsely chopped
- 5 ounces ricotta cheese
- 6 large eggs
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
- Hot sauce, for serving
Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook until soft, about 20 minutes. Add garlic and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes; stir in cumin, paprika and cayenne, and cook 1 minute. Pour in tomatoes and season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; simmer until tomatoes have thickened, about 20 minutes. Dot the simmering tomatoes with the ricotta
Gently crack eggs into skillet over tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until eggs are just set, 7 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with hot sauce.. Makes 4-6 servings.