A unique take on a classic. Pair the flavors of the Mediterranean with the East; tangy and spicy flavors pair perfectly with a glass of bright and fresh Grillo from the Wines of Sicilia DOC.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 4 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large carrot, grated lengthways
- 1 red onion, grated lengthways
- Romaine or butter lettuce leaves, separated
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 long red chili, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125ml) Vietnamese dipping sauce (nuoc cham)
Combine the pork with 2 tablespoons fish sauce, ground pepper, garlic and chopped cilantro, and form into small walnut size balls. Heat oil in a deep frypan over medium heat and cook the meatballs, turning, for 5-6 minutes until golden and cooked through. Add remaining fish sauce, soy sauce, honey and 1 tablespoon water to the pan and stir to coat, scraping the bottom of the pan, then set aside.
Divide carrot, cucumber and onion among lettuce leaves, and then top with meatballs, peanuts and chili. Add pan sauce to nuoc cham and serve on the side.